Sunday 6 March 2011

Giant Knitting Samples

I've been working with the idea of finger knitting then knitting with it. I used an ordinary, relatively thin yarn to begin with, then knitted it using 20mm needles. I used a variety of stitches; plain and purl, ladder and mesh type stitches too.
front
back
I then finger knitted a much thicker yarn and knitted with it. After a discussion with my tutor I decided to mix the materials I used in my samples, so there was a variety of weight as well as stitch. For this sample I used finger knitted thick yarn, strips of organza, bin bags and thick yarn.




As the yarn was so thick my largest needles were not large enough to knit it, soo I took a trip to B&Q and bought a 32mm x 2m plumbing pipe, some gaffer tape and a junior hacksaw and got to work on making my own needles. As awkward and odd as they look, they did the job and using them wasn't as difficult as I imagined it would be.

No comments:

Post a Comment